Saturday, July 30, 2011

Answering honestly

So we heard some very sad news this week about the passing of a friends baby. It's been an emotional time and it's hard to get my head around it. The expected things like why does it happen, why my gorgeous friend, how can I help and it puts things in my own life into perspective. Miss 4 overheard us talking about it and asked a few questions about death. Questions maybe in hindsight I shouldve left to my partner. But in the moment I thought it best to answer her questions honestly. I didn't want to scare or upset her and I answered things in an age appropriate way. However Miss 4 did get upset and she was saddened by this news. She later came out and asked about lifecycles, so I think somewhere along the way she's heard about these topics. Im now thinking maybe I shouldn't have said anything but I don't want to make up stories. It's a very sad time and I think it's part of a parents role to educate our children about all sorts of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment